Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Grandpa

My Grandpa Crull passed away this past Sunday. We have been busy this week packing, traveling to Illinois, seeing family that I never knew I had, attending the visitation, the burial and the memorial service.

I never lived close to my Grandpa and Grandma growing up, but my parents made a big effort every Summer to visit and stay with them for 2-3 weeks while my dad helped with the farming. It was one of my favorite memories of childhood - going to my Grandparents in Illinois. They had a huge farm with an orchard of apple trees, a swimming pool, GREAT food, pedal cars (yes the classics!), cats/kittens, cows, a riding lawn mower, and the list could go on and on. I was always sad to leave when our time was done.

My Grandpa was extremely musical. He LOVED music and sang all the time for weddings, funerals, with a Barbershop Quartet, etc. I remember when I was learning to play the piano, he would love to listen to me and would always encourage me to play with more feeling. (I suppose that is why today I "feel" so much through music). He would literally sit at the piano with me and sing with feeling. It was such a learning experience I never knew was even happening.

The last time I saw my Grandpa was over 2 years ago. I have to say that when my Grandma passed away when I was in 6th grade, our relationship changed. He remarried and we were still living far away, so everything changed. We did not see him as much as we had all the other years.

I think what saddens me is that our ties to our life and memories of Illinois may be gone forever. A part of history/generation is ending. A cousin of mine told me yesterday that he and his wife had visited a few years ago and video taped Grandpa for about 2 hours. They drove around and heard all kinds of stories - where he grew up, things he had built, etc. I have never heard those stories from him, but we now have it documented. History doesn't have to be lost if we stop our busy lives and spend the time talking, sharing stories, etc.

I will forever be grateful to my cousin who took that time to do that for our family. I look forward to hearing and learning more... from my Grandpa - in his own words, his own facial expressions. That will be something to cherish and hang on to for the next generation.

Thank you Brett and Julie!

1 comment:

spain dad said...

Thanks Mon. I saved this on my laptop, so our kids can read about Great Grandpa someday.